1. Atkins, P.W. Physical Chemistry, 6th Edition. W.H. Freeman & Co., New York,
2. Atkins, P.W. Solutions Manual to Accompany Physical Chemistry, 6th Edition. W.H.
Freeman & Co., New York, 1998.
3. Barrante, J.R. Applied Mathematics for Physical Chemistry, 2nd Edition. Prentice Hall,
Upper Saddle, NJ, 1998. (Optional text for brushing up on math skills)
1. Scientific Calculator
2. Web access
The purpose of this course is to provide an advanced level undergraduate student in
Chemistry or Physics with a general overview of molecular spectroscopy. Specifically, the
underlying principles of spectroscopy are examined using quantum mechanics, the
interaction of light and matter, and group theory as starting points. The main focus of
this course is the various forms of optical spectroscopy, including rotational,
vibrational and electronic spectroscopy, as well as a brief look at photoelectron
spectroscopy and lasers. The course finishes with an introduction to radiofrequency
spectroscopy techniques, including nuclear magnetic resonance and electron spin resonance.
It is strongly recommended that students taking this course
have some degree of familiarity with quantum mechanics (e.g., 59-340) and group theory
(1) Atkins, P. W. Physical Chemistry; 6th ed.;
W.H. Freeman and Company: New York, 1998.
(2) Banwell, C. N. Fundamentals of Molecular Spectroscopy; 2nd ed.;
McGraw-Hill Book Company (U.K.): Maidenhead, U.K., 1972.
(3) Cotton, F. A. Chemical Applications of Group Theory; Second ed.;
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: New York, 1971.
(4) Drago, R. S. Physical Methods in Chemistry; Saunders College Publishing:
(5) Graybeal, J. D. Molecular Spectroscopy; McGraw-Hill Book Company: New
(6) Hall, L. A. Group Theory and Symmetry in Chemistry;
McGraw-Hill: New York, 1969.
(7) Harris, D. C.; Bertolucci, M. D. Symmetry and Spectroscopy: An
Introduction to Vibrational and Electronic Spectroscopy; Dover Publications, Inc.: New
(8) Hollas, J. M. Modern Spectroscopy; 2nd ed.; John Wiley & Sons:
(9) Whiffen, D. H. Spectroscopy; Longmans Green and Co.: London, 1966.